Review of the Year - 2014

So once again I round up my record for the year against the usual markers to see how my year in wargaming has gone...

To start with, I have recorded fewer games this year than last, however past of that can be explained by the rise of X-Wing. This is a much quicker game where you may play a few skirmishes in a single evening, so I haven't been keeping track of it. I'd still class it as a solid evening of gaming nonetheless. Perhaps I shall record it next year, but we shall see.

 
Whilst I may have recorded fewer games, I have had a more balanced year. Last year I played 56 games, however 44 of them were 40k. This year I have only played 48 games, but by fluke have played exactly 24 of each system (well, I may have played a few more of either system, as I don't count multiplayer games in my record - just 1 vs 1 games where I can only blame myself and thus claim all the credit when things do go right)

Of last years 56 games, I won just over half (30) whilst losing 19 times and getting 7 draws. Despite playing only 48 this year, I have managed a solid 32 wins, so 75% victory rating. I got 11 losses and only 5 draws. These are split fairly evenly between 40k and fantasy, leaning ever so slightly in fantasys favour, but not much.

My best performing army was my Empire, but given it's the only fantasy army I played with all year throughout a long campaign that makes some sense. That army chalked up 17 victories, 5 defeats and 2 draws. As for 40k, that was split between my guard with 6 wins, plus 2 losses 2 draws, my Dark Eldar (a theme army I took on as a modelling project, took to a tournament, and promptly got spanked in) got a solitary win and 3 losses... credit where it's due though, that solitary win was in the playoff to avoid the wooden spoon, so they won when it mattered. Kinda. My Orks made up for my Dark Eldar, taking a solid 8 wins from 10 games, losing one and drawing one.

My best streak was 11 wins on the trot, in a 13 game undefeated streak that lasted over the summer. I couldn't put this down to one army though, as it was quite a mixed bag between campaign games, plus a few guard games and me starting to use the ork army that has been doing so well this year.

As for the games against my close friends Neil, Rich and Ken. Well surprisingly this year Ken was not the person I played least! Despite him living miles away. I played 5 games against Ken, winning two. Whereas I only played 4 against Rich, again winning 2. There were no draws against any of the three, so a fairly evenly matched year there. The same cannot be said for Neil. He kept challenging me in the campaign. I don't know why. I played him 8 times. I won 8 times. A lot of those were in the campaign, though there were a couple of 40k games too.

 
Overall, a decent amount of games played and a lot of fun had. A bloody good win loss ratio that is always gratifying, even if it isn't the primary goal of the hobby, let's be honest it's nice to win. I have no particular goals for next year, I don't know if my game count is likely to rise as I do wish to try out a few different game systems, and unless I decide to count them too... Tempting, but it would mean messing with the pattern established over several years of keeping track. Do I really want the extra work? Probably not, but no promises either way.

In the meantime, good luck to you all in the new year.

Comments

  1. You too. Hopefully I'll get more games in this year coming too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was grand to meet you and your club this summer - however briefly - and I'm sorry getting back to you hasn't been possible, but thanks for making a chap feel welcome! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, and it's a shame you haven't had chance to return. But our door is always open (though to be fair, this is a figure of speech... our door is only open on Tuesdays from 7pm, but you get what I mean) should you get the chance to pop by :)

      Happy New Year to you too good sir.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts