Distractions

A few years ago, when the ork codex came out, I wanted some of the new stuff, but felt that the nice shiny Meganobz (slow and purposeful) and the mek guns (artillery pieces) did not suit the army style of my existing speed freeks army. Thus I decided to do a Bad Moons force, as I had always liked the colour scheme, and seeing all the shiny new stuff in Bad Moons colours did, admittedly, help push me into that one. I was close for a while between Bad Moons and Deffskulls, but in the end I went with the Bad Moons.

A little while after finishing all that I wanted to do for that army, I looked into my box of unpainted orks (I picked up a load second hand) and still had about 20 lootas, 20 tankbustas, 10 burnas, lots of boyz with shootas... well that looked like a deffskulls force just waiting to happen. So happen it did with my Grand Loot.

I had decided that would be it for the orks. I had three tribes, I could add any future releases into whichever best fit the theme, all sorted...

But then I had a chat with a friend about feral orks, and a idea was born... an idea that will be fully explored in my CATCH which starts in the new year.

So with soon to be four tribes of orks, surely that will be enough.

Well almost. I also had a cool idea for what to do with some flashgitz I had, but while it would work with the Grand Loot deffskulls, it would look better in it's own little dedicated mini force... I have an idea for lots of flashgitz, led by badrukk, "sailing" in battlewagons that resemble modern navy frigates, with their boomguns in a turret on the fore of the wagon, superstructure behind it, open deck at the back. I need to make some land going frigates but it's a cool idea I think. Of course, I'm only planning to do this for an 800 points doubles thing, possibly with enough variety to make it fit a different rulespack 750 point doubles thing too. But then ideas start cascading around up there again... and I end up buying the following from ebay.

She's lost that loving feeling...

She needs a little love and a tidy up, then a few Konversions to be added, but then it's on to deck krew and deffkoptas and I think we could have a nice deffkopta carrier right here... I've had a box of about twenty of those I picked up when apoc first appeared that I still haven't done anything with. Maybe now they'll finally be useful.

Of course there are no rules for such a thing, and right now I am musing on what it should be... a fortification at a harbourside? Perhaps a skyshield landing pad would fit the bill. Although should probably pay double cost as it is a little wider than a standard skyshield...

Rhino for scale... yeah it's over two and a half feet long...
Could always make it a super heavy. Perhaps give it some sort of way to re-arm deffkoptas that have dropped off bomms or something. I don't know, i'll figure out how it works once I can get it to work. A standard conversion will suffice, although it would be nice to add a sound system that plays "danger zone" on repeat...

So will this be the end of the orks? Well probably, although the idea of a commando army with lots of stormboyz does also sound fun to do as a conversion project. And if I do that, I will have something to represent every clan in the book, apart from goffs... I guess I shouldn't really leave one force out by that point right? Might as well go for completeness...

One thing to say, I've come a long way from my "I only like da fast wuns, dat slow stuff duzzn't concern me" of my early waaaaaghing days...

Comments

  1. Argh ! I'll have to come back and read a few posts I've missed.

    Merry Chrimbo Ginge !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you too buddy.

      I've been trying to keep my blogging rate up, a post a week at least. Sometimes that rate has been a little tenuous but am maintaining it so far :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts