Review of the Year - 2017

So here we come once again to the time to look back over a year of hobby progress... and from a hobby point of view, there certainly has been plenty...

I've clocked in a personal best 585 on my painting points tally... I was considering trying to break the 600 mark by finishing up some Brimstone Horrors this afternoon, but the spray undercoat I used has obscured some of the detail and I'm not really happy with how they are progressing, I think I will probably fairy power spray them and try again, or perhaps get some more instead. Either way, not really one to use to set a record - "oh how did you get past 600?" "Er... some dudes that were so bad I stripped them to be repainted..." nah.

I'll settle for my 585 it's still a record, plus it keeps my turnout in the 500-600 range, if I break 600 I'm putting more pressure on to break it next year, whereas if I settle for 585 then all I will feel the need to aim for next year is 500 or more... slightly more manageable aspirations.


As for the games statistics, well I didn't get too many games in, being distracted by stuff I don't record for years end like Bloodbowl games (won more than I lost and sneaked the final to win our league, against a guy who'd beat me every time I'd played him previously) and x-wing. But I managed to get in 30 games of 40k overall.

It wasn't a great year, 14 losses, 2 draws, 13 wins and one result that... well I won on maelstrom, he won on kp,, he won on combined score, but it was a test game for a tournament that only counts your points not who won/lost so... yeah fuck knows what to call that one :P

On the flip side... there was a noticeable flip. I lost two thirds of the games with my orks early in the year, then 8th dropped, and I won two thirds of my games. I still think they need some work and a codex, but it was certainly an improvement, and I look forward to chapter approved changes making them even more effective, if only for the points saving on power klaws...

The usual suspects... I played Ken twice (won one lost one) I played Rich four times (won three lost one) and I played Neil twice (won one lost one) which is both a rather low number and also quite possibly the first time Neil has beaten me at 40k in years. Damn him for taking the chance to give my deathwatch a kicking in that upheaval when I was still looking at 8th... new ruleset for a new army that turns out to be badly in need of a codex to help it out especially when compared to stuff that had their own codex - like his chaos marines do. Yeah, he got me. He also finally beat me at a game of Star Wars: Rebellion (I'd figured out where the base was, but also that I couldn't reach it... I ALMOST spooked him into moving his base, because the only places he could move to, I could reach all simultaneously, in time... but at the last second he spotted that he was actually safe and rescinded the move order, and just waited out the last couple gameturns going "nayh-nyah-nyah-na-na-nah" or the galactic cantina equivalent...) So a good year for Neil at least.

I haven't played too much with my guard yet mainly because after my codex came out I annihilated my friend Rob in such short order it sent shockwaves around the club and people are refusing to play my guard... hence I've been playing more shadespire of late.

Looking forward to 2017, I'm going to start the second season of our bloodbowl league, I also have a couple of xwing challenges to look forward to, and whilst the Tale has been postponed till the summer, I will still be painting up my Tzeentch stuff because I've been waiting ages to do so and the codex is imminent so I'm gonna do it and pick a different army for the tale... maybe more orks. again. :P

Comments

  1. That’s an impressive total painting mate! I’m happy if I get to 150! Great job. Happy New Year mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never claimed to be the best painter, but by God I can get an army to a reasonable tabletop standard in pretty short order :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts