You Are Awaited In Valhalla!

So, with Double Trouble coming up this summer, I have been working on a little project. I had originally planned to keep this under wraps and then do a big reveal, but the centrepiece part of the big reveal is now, sadly, but probably for the best, not going to happen...

With that in mind, I figured a progress update wouldn't hurt.

I present, my battlewagon, da doof wagon!


The guitarist will be painted separately and glued in place later... I did have bigger plans for this guy but alas he shall have to suffice with being a painted model alone...


I still have much to do on the doof wagon. The speakers are well supported structurally, but they don't LOOK well supported for how much they are meant to weigh... so I shall have to add more, purely decorative struts, to make it look as strong as it is.


And of course, I still have a good amount of work to do at the back, bringing the speakers together and adding four drummers on the end...


Of course this entire project would have been even more monstrously difficult had I succeeded with phase one... I wanted the guitarist to have a functioning flamethrower!

I had a design I found online and was trying to scale down to a size I could build a battlewagon around... unfortunately making it smaller limits the size of the electronics, and in the end the motor I had just didn't have enough "oomph" to proper the gas that would have thrilled the crowds (and quite possibly exploded my battlewagon, in true orky fashion)

With how big a task building this doof wagon around nothing is proving to be, I am now very glad I didn't have to hide even more stuff inside, I'm not sure I could have made the thing any smaller than a baneblade!


Comments

  1. The bit about the actual flamethrower not working out reminds me of something I read about the production of the movie: The prop department originally thought that the flames were going to be added as CGI, and the music overdubbed, so they didn't bother actually making any of it functional. Then when they showed it to Miller, he said something along the lines of "Looks great, now fire it up and show me what it can do!", followed by the prop guys more or less going "Wait what. Um, back to the drawing board, I guess."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a similar story myself, and I dearly hope that it's true and not some urban myth :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts