Investigating the Underworlds: Da Boyz are Back in Town!

As an unashamedly biased ork player, it's safe to say this is my favourite warband, and as such gets first dibs on any and all cards I acquire. One copy of that awesome new card that is perfect for the new khorne warband? Well if it's moderately useful to my orcs, they get first refusal...
 
I built their deck to do lots of krumpin, cos that's what orks do. I have tried to build it to generate extra attacks where possible, and scoring is based around getting in a ruck and doing damage.

 


So I have some handy upgrades to improve my two big hitters. I did formerly have a couple of upgrades for the other two, but they swing rather weakly at first, and I tend to use them to issue a coup de grace to already weakened fighters, in which case I don't need to improve them that much.


A couple of generic improvements that are useful to all... and I seem to have mislaid a picture of the other 4 upgrades, but they are Regeneration, Great Fortitude, Tethered Spirit and Unkillable, handy for keeping my two big hitters ticking along.


Ploys are based around getting those extra attacks... whether being inspired by a leaders actions or retaliating to enemy ones or simply enjoying an upgrade, I have various ways to get extra attacks out of these boys.


I then have some miscellaneous other items... the ubiquitous healing potion, grapple to stop someone breaking up a fight I want to keep going, earthquake to potentially bundle people off objectives (and possibly into bottlenecks where we can form a big scrum and the beautiful new shardgale that, at a stroke, can inspire my entire warband.


I particularly like the combo of shardgale and "my turn" as it doesn't specify an enemy ploy... So if someone else takes the first turn and comes close to me, I can potentially inspire my entire warband, send one in to attack, and THEN take my turn...

 

As for scoring points, they're all based around doing damage, charging, and being in close to the enemy, which all suit my orcs quite nicely.

I've had some great games with these guys, and some terrible games, but as I said, they are the favoured deck, if not necessarily the best built one. They get first dibs, but have an orkish mentality to what is selected. So the tendency is brutality over tactical acumen. But it's how I like them.

Comments

  1. The Orruks are such a fun Warband. They're not quite as high priority on my list* as on yours, but they're up there. I took them to a tournament a little while back where I was horribly outclassed, and they were the only Warband to get me any wins.

    *The defining Warband of my list is actually on the other end: The Reavers don't get any card that any other Warband can use better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to play outside of my own gaming club, so have no idea how well any of my ideas would stand up to, shall we say, more rigorous testing...

      Delete
    2. Right now still trying to encourage enough people to learn the game so I can potentially run an in house tournament in the not too distant future...

      Delete
    3. That Tournament was my first experience stepping outside of my own small group, and it was a bit of an eye-opener. Not as much as, say, going from Garage-Hammer to a 40K tournament, but definitely people who'd refined their decks better and practiced with them more.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts