Back in the Habit...

So I've noticed that my blogging sort of tailed off when I was without internet due to moving,and hasn't really picked up since... well this has gotta change! I am officially getting back in the habit!


So, what have I been doing lately? Well with Tale of Eight Gamers approaching it's conclusion I've been looking to new things. The timely arrival of dreadfleet has given me something interesting to do, but it is fairly limited in how far that will keep me occupied. I'll review it a bit later.

Other than that I've been mulling over my next project. Up for debate are the following...

  • A space marine army - I'm working on more of a budget now so perhaps biting the bullet and building one of those codex crossing power army armies would be the best way to get more bang for my buck. I have an idea for the C:SM starter plus a few ideas for C:CSM additions, as well as a bit of a backstory and colour scheme in mind. However, the core 2000 to start me off looks like it's gonna be about £350 or so. Might have to wait and see how payday goes before I start that venture, though a recent tax rebate will come in handy.
  • The new Necron stuff looks cool. I like the change in fluff, and think some of the new models look awesome. I do however fear that every man and his dog will have the same idea, and I've never been one to collect the popular army (damn the new guard codex being awesome and getting loads of people to jump on my battered old wagon - I've been suffering this thing for years, find your own ride now that it's finally good!)
  • With a large backlog of stuff to paint, I could work at more guard stuff, but having just completed a guard army I kinda fancy a change...
  • Similarly I have a large backlog of fantasy models. Though I don't game much with the Dark Elves at the moment, and the Empire stuff I have so much old stuff in old colour schemes I sometimes feel I should just buy more and paint it up to my current standards. Then there are Tomb Kings, and I only have a couple of units to paint to finish off my regular 2.5k force, then it'd just be about adding the new shiny stuff to my army. So this is a good contender at the moment.
  • As always I'm looking for a theme to take to Winds of War next year, I already have something in mind, and with february not as far away as you think now could be the time to start on that little project... On the flipside, I believe that project will be 11 infantry and 2 vehicles, so shouldn't take all that long anyway...
  • Or finally, do a few repairs to my Orks, finish off the alst couple units, and maybe look at getting some other stuff that doesn't fit my standard playstyle (deffdreads and killa kans) to open up new playstyle avenues for that army
So those are the options I'm mulling over at the moment. Any thoughts and input can't hurt. I'm not averse to more than one project at once, so I think Winds of War will kick off soon enough in some form anyway. Really I'm waiting for the necrons to drop properly before I make a final decision on the direction that project will take.

And Finally, dreadfleet

The models are beautiful. Enough said.

The game mechanics work very well. It's a simple system, and while the turning does look a little odd with the back end of the ship swinging outwards, it works in game terms so I'm not complaining. There's not too much to remember (though of course in my first game I kept forgetting CRITICAL special stuff for each vessel) certainly not as much as one of the core games, and I think once you've played it a few times you won't even need the rulebook. The system of sliding damage cards under the ship card so just the vital info is showing is a cracking idea too, far better than the book-keeping I've seen in other games.

As for my first game, it was technically a draw, but with two relatively unscathed Grand alliance ships together, against a bruised Zandri half an ocean away from a BATTERED Bloody Reaver (who was at Move 3, Handling 7, Could only turn to Starboard and was a blazing inferno slowly drifting towards the edge of the seascape) I think the Alliance would have won the day eventually. Though things may have been different if that damn Elf hadn't one shotted my Kraken... admittedly, forgetting the tentacle attacks probably didn't help, but it was still sods law that I got a third (and decisive) crew damage to peg the kraken back to the depths. Something also to remember is that the big ships are more manouverable than you think, as proved by the Heldenhammer turning away from my Fire as she bears bloody reaver and thanks to some well timed orders dodged around an island to get behind me. Admittedly, my Bloody Reaver wouldn't still have been sat there waving it's backside about if it wasn't for that accursed Elf...

So in summary, good game, but I don't like Elves. So nothing new there then...

Comments

Popular Posts