My First Commission: Does this make me a pro-painter? Won't ebay be pleased...

A little while ago a friend asked me to paint his army for him, offering to pay me to do so. I'm not the greatest painter by any stretch but I am fairly quick, I have experience with Orks and he was planning to collect Orks, and had seen and liked the standard of my army, so we agreed a reasonable price we were both happy with. I was doing my own Ork army for a Tale at the time, so started slowly, with a test squad, then a couple characters, then a couple dreads... but then I finished my own army and side project, so on the 5th March I found myself looking at the rest of what he had purchased...


This was about 100 infantry, 2 vehicles and 14 bikes/koptas. I had to prep all the bases with an aggregate, and wait for some good weather to undercoat the majority. On Tuesday of this week, my friend got to field a fully painted 2600 point army against my Deathwatch in a cracking close game. Our planned game was delayed a week as I had something come up that delayed doing his deffkoptas by several days. But in effect, I did 2000 points in a little over a month. I'm fairly pleased with that workrate, and so is my friend, whose only previous experience of "commission painting for a buddy" was getting the same models back a year later with no further painting and even less assembled than they arrived.

It was a little troublesome at times working to someone else's design... he wanted deffskulls as he liked the blue facepaint, but wanted red vehicles cos they go faster... to try to satisfy his requests while settling down my inner pedant, we decided that the crew would be painted as deffskulls, and the truk would be recently nicked... so red, but with some blue graffiti hastily daubed on it. This set up a precedent that worked well for the battlewagon, but almost made my eyes bleed with a mixed squad of looted space marine bikes...

Anyway, project (currently) complete, here are a few of the snaps of the finished army. I don't have all of them as these were often progress updates sent to my friend I didn't keep all the photos. I did enjoy the task, especially the little quirky bits on the battlewagon that my friend was really pleased with. Now I may put the brushes down for a few weeks as I figure out what to do next...













Comments

  1. Very cool! And especially impressive for getting it all done in a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've always been an industrious little so and so ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts