My NEXT Ork Army, Blood Axes.

So, what do we know about Blood Axes?

Well, they are the tactically astute Ork clan, which leads to some distrust from the other clans. A lot of their yoof flock to the life of Stormboyz (where they conduct precise military drills, follow orders and polish their boots) The clan see getting shot before they can get into a fight with the enemy as a bit of a waste, so are not averse to using camouflage, so commandos are a natural part of the clan.

So, we want a disciplined force that has stormboyz and commandos. And boot polish. If I do the entire tribe like it's a big stormboy camp, just not everyone has earned their wings yet, this gives me some inspiration. I want a uniform look to the army. Now the last time I wanted uniform greenskins, it was grots for my rebellion, and I found that in the old Gretchen models. In tracking those down, I ended up with some of the old ork models too. Now those old monopose guys should do for basic boys. They're a little smaller than modern ork boys, but hey, they're yoofs innit...

I have also, for quite some time, been wanting to buy this guy...


And that sets the theme for this force...

With old boys as the ranks of the yoof, I need commandos, and I have two leading contenders for that...


 Now I do like the afrika korps a bit more, but the Greatcoats have more expansion opportunities...





So would probably lean that way in the end. Either way, I've found a good truck...


Sadly while Kromlech is a third party miniature maker and do some good work, they aren't cheap knockoffs... a lot of their stuff is priced similarly to forge world. Those goblins will cost me far more than regular ones. This is why I decided to make use of the yoof, as I doubt I could afford an entire army with greatcoats as boys and afrika korps as commandoes, though of course, if I get that elusive lotto win, plans can change...

No sign for anything to be stormboys yet, with that probably just have to go with GW. They are an excellent kit, but pricey if I want to run a large squad or multiple squads of them. I'll keep an eye out in the meantime.

I'd probably also include a gunwagon that looks very tanky. Perhaps some artillery pieces too, as they fit the theme quite well. And while they probably aren't the best flyers, they fit the theme best... a couple of Blitza-bombers. I've already had the suggestion to put soundsystems in them that I can activate for their bombing runs... I don't rate my chances for that. You may as well ask me to put a gimble in there so you set the sound off by tilting the plane :P Again, that would probably require that lotto win, but hey we can dream right?

But yes, that is the basic layout of the force. Will it happen soon? In a word, no. I should probably finish off the snakebites, and I do want to buy those contrast paints, which will be my next big purchase putting me on clearing the backlog duty for a while... but hey at least it'll give me some practice with those new contrast paints on something unimportant like that daemon army I have been meaning to do for twenty years... :P But maybe, just maybe, I'll do some research into making a small gimble sound system...





Comments

Popular Posts