Roughguts leads the way

In the final regular battle of our campaign, I found myself up against the campaign leader... though I had a healthy points advantage, as everyone threw what spare points they had left into this last game I found myself with 2950 against 2450. A big game indeed, but as I had just last week overcome an identical points deficit against a Mournfang heavy Ogre army, I could not take anything for granted.

The leader of this army is Roughguts, my Amber Wizard on Griffon. He started with the book of Ashur so he's effectively level 5. I have since upgraded him with some freebie magic items to give him a 5+ ward, a potion of Toughness, and +3A. Graaaaghh!


I also had to include a unit of flagellents (part of the army back when they were Core... and good) along with a half strength unit of Huntsmen.

Knowing I was up against my opponents Dragon general, I put a couple of Cannons in there. Knowing that I had a healthy points advantage AND my opponent would probably be taking a couple hordes of elves, I chanced the rocket battery. I also gave my demigryphs another outing, several units of handgunners/crossbowmen, a block of spearmen with militia in support, and of course the celestial hurricanum.

My opponent had the first turn and wisely moved his Dragon away from my cannons behind a forest. The rest of his army just moved up. His shooting caused a unit of handgunners to panic off the field, but the cannon held their nerve. His magic had no real effect In response I just positioned myself as best I could to countercahrge into the flank of anything that attempted to charge me.

My magic phase is where things got interesting. Roughguts went for a higher level Amber Spear - Str 10 bolt D6 wounds. He irresistabled it, losing the spell (and a wizard level) It was a good deal though, as the spear struck the Dragon square in the chest and smited it's unholy arse! That unkillable dreadlord was now walking. In the shooting phase my cannons took a shot at the hydra (failing to wound) and grapeshot for the dark riders. The rocket battery proved itself useful - very little scatter on the Witch Elves leading to most of the horde being wiped out. With complimentary fire from my crossbowmen, they were down to just a command group.

In the Dark Elf turn things started to get messy. Various charges made for a complicated multi combat in the centre of my lines. My militia were butchered, the crosairs overrun blocked by the cold one knights, who themselves overran into the rocket battery. The hydra did a tremendous job against the spearmen, eating lots, breath weapon killing 12 more, stomps doing more damage... luckily steadfast and a BSB kept the Spearmen in the fight. And this is where the tide really turned. The flagellents tore into the Hydras flank, pretty much eating it and overrunning into the flank of the corsairs. The demigryphs charged the cold one knights, and while a kitted up Cold One hero provided a nasty surprise, they did tie them up for a while. In the following turn, the flagellents gave the corsairs a kicking and chased them away... straight into the jaws of Roughguts. The dreadlord was causing some minor problems on my right flank, but a couple of charges managed to combat res him out of the game. The cold ones too took to flight, and while they returned, they were eventually routed. Roughuts, from feasting on the corsairs, urged his mount towards the Cauldron of Blood. By this time he had magical dominance, and a flurry of buff spells added +1 str and T to his unit, +3 S and A to himself, and +3 T to himself. The witches defending the caulron picked a wound off roughguts and his mount, and the griffen struck... and did nothing. My opponents joy was shot lived though, as Roughtguts struck with 7 attacks at str 8. The cauldron attendants were butchered. The crossbowmen tried bravely to bring down the rampaging monstrosity (and the pigeon he was riding) but to no avail. Roughguts charged, and they failed their terror test and were scattered to the 4 winds. With a solitary Dark Rider left midway through my turn 5, my opponent conceded defeat.

So we come to the final battle, and as Roughguts cooks up a decent Dragon Stew in his new Dark Elf themed chafing dish, we wait to see how well he'll do in the final battle. Will he survive? I doubt it. Will he go out in a blaze of gory glory? Oh I certainly do hope so...

Comments

  1. Sounds like your getting the hang of the new units then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making use of the new units that are of course better than the stuff I owned before, and which I have now begrudgingly bought. Still annoyed that they destroyed the theme armies I'd been running previously...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts