Tale of Four Gamers: First Encounter

Got a brief run out with my freshly painted Orks against willing volunteer Neil with some space marines. I was up against a jump captain, assault squad, 2 squads of sniper scouts and a dread, so quite a nice balanced force to face really.


It was a good opportunity to try out Smasha guns as I have never used them, and I haven't run Nob squads or even really painboyz in this addition, and don't use dredds often either... about the only thing I was familiar with was the Boyz.

Neil had the first turn and took a few wounds off my smasha guns. In return I advanced most of my infantry behind los blocking terrain while the dredd just had to leg it into the open and hope for the best.


Turn 2 Neil dropped in his jump troops and captain to take out my supporting fire, and meanwhile his dread switched fire to my dredd... two hits from a twin lascannon, 12 damage later and a very short test run was abruptly ended. His assault squad failed their charge (losing one to the overwatch) although the captain made it in... barely! He took a hit from the smasha gun and while I used a CP to reroll the damage, I could only get to 4, leaving him alive, but very nervous with grots stood around with no gun to crew and vengeance in their eyes...

I advanced my infantry on his scouts, used the smasha guns to eliminate his dread, and used the spare grots to make the captain nervously have to roll an armour save.


Turn 3 Neil put a few wounds on my nobs, and his assault squad locked up another smasha gun while the captain took out some more grots. In return I decided that I was looking at too long a charge for his scouts (both squads needed an 11 to hit their targets if I moved then charged) so instead I elected to advance to be sure of getting them next time. In the combat phase Neil finished off my artillery.


Turn 4 saw Neil bring his assault squad and captain back towards my fight in a desperate run to save his scouts. It was too late as the nobs ripped apart one squad and the boyz another.

Turn 5 Neil charged the boyz with his jump troops and captain, just barely making the charge with the squad. This allowed me to dictate where the fight happened for the most part, piling most of my boyz into the captain to try to drag him down. A few nervous rolls and a CP reroll later, he emerges unscathed, and I lose an extra boy to the morale phase, but stay in the fight. Then the doc and nobz intervene, and turn 5 ends with Neil having a solitary assault marine locked in combat with everything I have, so we called it there.

He's very serious, and stop calling him Shirley...

Overall, a nice little run out. We were both just going for the kill rather than playing any particular mission, I don't really like playing such small games in all honesty, but it's for the Tale so I muddled through.

The deadline is nearly here and I just about scraped getting these guys done. Quite pleased with myself actually, did NOT expect to manage that given how late I made a start. It means I can use the late period to make a start on building and undercoating my next phase, like I should have done last time. So what am I building next phase? Er... right... about that... GW haven't released a codex yet so I'm not entirely sure... when is Speed Freaks released again? Er...

Comments

  1. Waaagh! Nice to see da boyz proppa krumpin da beekeez!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts