Uncharted Seas

Played a test game of Uncharted Seas last night. Iron Dwarves vs Shadow Mages. It won't really count for much cos we're both learning it as we go along, and some mistakes were made, but so far it looks like an interesting game. The simplistic nature of the firing keeps things moving, and the slowest part of the game for us was unfamiliarity with taking it in turns with squadrons (we're all so used to "I do my army, now you do yours...")

I got a victory, as I think Chris made a mistake in putting his battleship on the flank. As the slowest vessel I kept mine in the middle so it could support either side, whilst his was pretty isolated. Also, by taking out his smaller vessels first, I then had the advantage in cards (you get one card per active squadron) and late game having 4 vs 1 started to be quite telling. I could say this was tactical genius on my part, but I'd be lying, apart from the speed issue I didn't know what I was doing either :oP

Some more games need to be played to breed familiarity with the game system and with the vessels, and we need to download some of the resources available (for free) at spartan games (templates, roster cards, etc) to save us constantly flicking back to the rule book, but a promising start I think. Regardless of the result, the unfamiliarity, both players had fun. What more do you want at the end of the day?

Comments

  1. That was a brilliant game. I don't think the problem was putting the battleship on the flank, it was just that I didn't support my cruisers at all in the centre. From the flank the battleship destroyed two of your cruisers, but by that point practically everything else of mine was wiped out so it didn't help me at all.

    At the end of the day I don't mind losing every game I play as long as I have fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts