I'm Tired of Ork Armies...

So I have a side project, to give me a change of pace.

An Ork Navy!


Basically, I have a couple of small tournaments coming up in the summer. A doubles 800 point event and a doubles (random pairing) 750 point event. So I plan to take broadly the same theme force to both.

A friend got me a box of flashgitz a while back and I had been planning to add them to my deffskulls army, but then a couple of other ideas struck me. You see that friend and I had wanted to do a pirates vs ninjas doubles project years ago, but it had fallen through after the tournament host modified the tournament pack from the year before, throwing our plans into disarray. With GC now offering Cult Ambush and Retreat to the Shadows, it now seemed the perfect time to revisit the idea. No one represents the ninja way than GC surely? As for the pirates, well I did have some flashgitz knocking around...


I was thinking of going all out for the pirate theme, but I did end up exploring that once before with Dark Eldar, so I decided this would be a modern pirate navy, with frigates and such. So the model pictured is actually a counts as Battlewagon, it's almost finished I do intend to have a deffkopta on the aft flight deck to complete the frigate look of it.


You can probably just about make out that it is on tracks, so we'll call it amphibious. I still have to come up with something to represent a truk, which will obviously have to look somewhat less lumbering than this... I was thinking of taking inspiration from Top Gear and making an orky Toybota (Clarkson is clearly a human Big Mek if ever I saw one) but that doesn't quite fit my naval theme so will probably create something that looks like a minesweeper/patrol vessel. On wheels.

Boyz boyz boyz!

My basic plan for the two lists is the 800 (which needs a troop and HQ) will have grots, a truk for them, kaptin badruk, and two units of flashgitz riding ded tran battlewagons with boomguns. I shall take as many flashgitz as points allow.

As for the 750, that I can take a formation, so I was planning to take badruks one which is him and two units of flashgitz. The only drawback is they have to be full strength units, meaning I can only afford one battlewagon... the other squad will have to steal the grots truk.

Which means 20 flashgitz, badruk, 10 grots and a runtherd, two battlewagons and a truk and both those armies navies are sorted! I even picked up some pirate grots, so apart from converting a truk and building flashgitz, I have all I need...


But...

Somehow I don't think the project will end there...

Perhaps inspired a little by following this project I have decided I will go beyond the force ever so slightly, by making a super heavy for the force. I doubt I'll ever play it it'll probably just make for a cool display board piece hopefully as a backdrop to my doubles force for bonus points in the best army judging, but I picked up this...

So I plan to make some sort of deffkopta carrier... I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as the one in the link, but it is going to be bigger, and that appeals to the ork in me...


To give a sense of scale, here it is with a rhino...

Anyway, I have been shopping around for various bitz and pieces for this project, and I am fairly happy that everything I need is either here or in the post, so I shall be doing this alongside my CATCH challenge. I've built the grots, badruk, 5 flashgitz and the 2 battlewagons (barring the deffkoptas, my box of which I have just found, finally) next up is the truk. I plan to do bitz and bobz on the karrier as time progresses as it is not strictly necessary for my force, but I would like to have it their, despite it being totally useless in game terms :P

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts