Tale of Four Gamers: Phase 2 Ahead of Schedule

I made good use of the 2 week catch up period (coinciding with a week off work) to get phase 2 built, prepped, undercoated and weathered. Yes, weathered, before base oates, I decided to paint these guys "backwards" and was very pleased with the result. It looks better I think, AND because it's only on bare metal, I can be more slapdash, meaning the process is quicker too!

So when it came to painting them, I just had to do the Base colour, a couple of spot details, and done. I blitzed it!

I have decided against using water transfers. I used them in phase 1 as there is no way I am a good enough painter to do check patterns by hand. But when you then have a rusted metal plate, flaking, scratched, bloodstained... but with pristine chequered detailing... yeah that just looks off. So no more transfers from here on in. I'll just have to accept check pattern will be a rarity in this army, despite my hopes. I might try one or two bits though... especially a bob with waagh banner - we are about to add some dragsters to the mix after all, it makes sense.

I'm gonna spend the rest of the month building orks, and getting stuff undercoated, with still no fixed idea about what the next phase will bring. I'll just get it prepped to keep my options open.

Comments

  1. Try marking out the grid lines for checks with a Micron 0.05m pen. Over larger surfaces do a pencil first, when happy ink it in. Then the filling of squares with paint is more forgiving. They are the great cheat when doing script on banners and scrolls (brown ink works best) and laying down checks (Black Ink).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall bear this in mind for the nob with waagh banner, as I do think a chequered flag could be fun given speedfreeks is due... I'm not overly confident though :P

      Delete
  2. Nice DreddMob there! All proppa and stompy and bashed up enough that you know they've been doing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still got to add in some larger cousins, but I'll let the narrative dictate the need for that... I haven't encountered Ken and his Knights army yet...

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! I loved the old Tale of Four Gamers series in White Dwarf. Great to see it alive here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to do this for years, had a few false starts, let's hope this one runs the full course :)

      Delete
  4. These guys really look good. I did read something about this approach to painting before, either on instagram or on a blog. And the guy's whole point was pretty much what you said here - it's more natural.

    And like you said, for the Orks it makes things way easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a better maintained army it wouldn't work, it'd be a waste of paint to do the entire model then paint over 98% of it anyway... but orks will have lots of rust patches where the paint has worn away, as vehicle maintenance tends to extend to "are enough of the wheels on that it still rolls? Yes? That'll do..." and no further :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts