Come With Me If You Want To Live...

Oh those immortal lines, uttered every time in the Terminator franchise. In the current context though, it'd have to be Arnie that said it... once you'd got rid of all that irritating flesh stuff anyway...

Last week my necrons were described as "the swartzanecrons who dont die and have a huge beat stick in melee" as I tend to put a lord in every squad, equipped with scythe, mindshackle and res orb. Most Necron lsits I see make use of cheap small units and crypteks, but I like the idea of the unstoppable terror robots that will not die... if you're running squads of 5, well they die pretty easily and what's more they don't come back. Where is the fun if you leave out the main army dynamic? You may as well play marines...

Anyway, after this description was uttered last week, one particular fella, my Necron Overlord (not my Warlord, I run a Trazyn list and would love to see someone try to slay THAT particular warlord :oP) took it upon himself to be the living incarnation of that phrase... and treat his entire squad as a brood of John Connors to boot! Now I recently switched my build around and had a few points spare so tried to make my Overlord more survivable by giving him a 2+ save. This proved to be a golden decision!


I did my usual attempt to get First Blood and eliminate the most problematic enemy by Veil of Darkness-ing a 20 strong unit next to the enemy Redeemer. I thought that many shots would kill it. I positioned my Lord at the edge of the group ready to receive the inevitable charge from a bunch of pissed off terminators whose pimp mobile I'd just trashed, so that mindshackle scarabs would have best effect.

Of course I wasn't counting on my squad only doing 2 hp damage... Ah. Not good.

The enemy moved in for the kill. The terms and Librarian commander got out ready to assault, a drop pod arrived and added a tactical squad to the mix, the redeemer positioned itself to hose my squad. The fire from the redeemer put 12 AP3 wounds on my squad. My lord bravely stepped in front of the fire, and his 2+ save deflected all bar one of them. The rest of the fire from the surrounding units and the deathwind launcher caused a hideous amount of damage, killing 15 of my unit. Course without the Overlord the unit would have been gone, so I was especially pleased when 9 got back up again!

The terminators charged, and the overwatch fire did nothing. The mindshackles didn't take effect and storm shields bounced my warscythe away. My squad lost the combat by 5 and ran. But they didn't run far, and the terminators couldn't pursue. So the next turn they rallied.

At the second bite of the cherry they took out the Land Raider. They then braced themselves for the inevitable assault. Now once again the Overlord was the closest to the enemy, and again he stood his ground, this time against 7 AP3 witchfire wounds. He allowed his charges to take the armour saves from the bolter fire, so that when the terminators charged once again, he was perfectly positioned to challenge the librarian. The librarian started scratching his face. It looked like he had a nervous tic. He then bludgeoned himself in the face with his force stave, uttered a few words of power, and instantly killed himself. My Overlord hadn't even hefted his warscythe yet, and in a moment of weakness he didn't help his warriors against the terminators as he was too busy creased up on the floor uttering a strange machine laugh...

From the next round, the Overlord helped. He killed two terminators, which saw the tactical squad break and run. On the next attempt to charge they finally dragged down the warriors and the Lord... but he got back up again! He once again engaged the Terminators as Trazyn and the lychguard moved in on the tactical squad, having cleared the right objective and worked back across. This time was to be a fight too far though. The mindshackle scarabs had the Overlord AND one of the terminators beating on the other, but he withstood it all behind his storm shield before turning and pasting the overlord. This time he did not get back up.

The terminators moved off and tied up a large squad of warriors on the objective and the game ended turn 5. But I had 6 points worth of objectives, First Blood, Slay the Warlord AND Linebreaker, while my opponent only had a 3 point objective, giving me the win. WHilst it was Trazyn, the Lychguard and Annihalation Barges that moved up the right flank and dealt with a tactical squad, rhino, tech priest with thunderfire cannon, a tactical combat squad and withstood the attentions of a vindicator and land speeder squadron, I think this game was won for me by the mass brawl in the middle. This tied up my opponents best unit and a scoring unit for most of the game. He lost the first blood point AND the warlord point to that unit. And that unit would have been creamed, GIVING up First Blood and achieving nothing, were it not for the Overlord saying to his squad, as the cryptek activated the Veil of Darkness to lead them into battle... "Come with me if you want to live..."

Comments

Popular Posts