An Impending Tale, An Impending Dilemma

So a while back myself and some friends almost started a Tale of Four Gamers, but then life interfered, and we pushed it back a bit... we are planning to start afresh in September, so i'll finally continue that Tzeencth force I did a couple units of horrors for...

And then this happened...


Yeah... Orktober. Precisely what I was worried about. Whatever I'm working on, my mek brain always gets distracted by the green and shiny...

Incidentally I told the guys that I was so set on doing the tzeentch army I had been gearing up to paint that I was gonna do it anyway, and have to pick a new army when we picked a new date for the tale. I did a couple squads of horrors, then watched Mad Max Fury Road for the Umpteenth time, and Immorkan Joe and his menagerie happened...


As is so often the case, I had my sights set on a goal, then I heard a guttural cry of waaaaaaghtness me and I was compelled to join in...

So, with a new Tale approaching, I need to focus my attention on tzeentch, daemons, pink, magic and... OH COME ON!!!


Which gives me a rather large dilemma. Let's say I bow to the inevitable, shelve the tzeentch once again, and do another Ork based Tale... what clan do I do?

I mean, the obvious choice is speed freaks, but I've done those guys... my way of painting orks has changed dramatically since then, I use a far quicker method now that is quicker, with more modern paints... but which doesn't match the skintones. I've always explained it away by saying my tribes are from different world's and are flesh toned to suit their environment. The speed freaks are on an ice world, the bad moons an irradiated wasteland, the deffskulls a temperate if somewhat muddy place, the Fury Road tribe don't really count as they wear war paint anyway... trying to recreate a skin colouration I haven't painted in nearly a decade is gonna be a big ask.

Plus this bad boy is begging to ride the Fury Road eternal... but there are a couple downsides to that. I thought I'd finished that project, it was only meant to be a small side affair, plus the colour scheme isn't the most striking for such a gorgeous model.

Now I had considered my fury road lot could find a second lease of life by rolling them in to a later Goff tribe... similar colours after all. Joe's Warboys would be a small band of specific idiots within a wider post apocalyptic society, lead by the post armageddon ghaz. And there are rumours that he is also returning in Orktober...

But this does leave me basically trying to plan an army to do a Tale, starting in the next couple weeks, based on rumour and speculation... with no idea how many new units are coming, what they'll be etc. About the only unit announced so far was NOT one I ever really planned for the Goffs, the only way I had thought I "might" include some was to give further use to the Fury Road project, it wasn't a core part of the plan. Plus most ork kits are already fairly up to date and good so... yeah... dilemma. I mean... I could do a smattering of ork units for differing tribes, and add some to each but... man that wouldn't really feel like the unifying tale I wanted to do. If the kit is half as good as it looks I'll get plenty and can add a few to the speed freaks army later (if I ever figure out the paint scheme)

I think it's safe to say that, over the course of this article, Kairos fateweaver has walked off in a sulk...

Comments

  1. Let Gorkamorka guide you! You know it is the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think the answer being ork based is already a given... it's what flavour of ork that is key now...

      Delete
  2. Bad Moons, they look great in yellow and flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Bad Moons are yellow and rust :P

      I will definitely be picking up two copies of the box game. If the gameplay is good I shall paint a set to act purely as game pieces, which will give me the freedom to use various tribal colours without worrying about not matching classic skintones. That is my creativity splurge sated. For the Tale, if the rumours of a Ghaz also in the pipeline, there does seem to be a leading contender...

      Delete
  3. Orks, Orks, Orks Orks orksorksorks Orks ORKS !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts