Rumours: Da Clan Rules

OK I know it's only rumours at the moment, but it's intriguing and it's something I have been waiting for ever since I first saw the keyword in the index when 8th first dropped...

40k in general had been lacking a way to make armies play to reflect different backgrounds, apart from marines with their plethora of options, but happily 8th is bringing some variety back and finally it's the turn of the Orks.

Bad Moons

My second Ork Clan and still probably my favourite colour scheme/paintjob thus far, what do they get?

Reroll 1s in the shooting phase.

Really? That's it? Seems a bit pants really. Bad moons are known for wealth and ostentation and while I don't know exactly how to represent that, the bog standard reroll 1s is a bit generic, overplayed, and not especially in keeping with the clan. I mean, the trigger happy deffskulls, that might make more sense. I guess they were stuck on ideas here.



Blood Axes

Still yet to do this tribe, though have done Boss Snikrot twice now, so will probably do his own clan at some point.

Units can fall back and still shoot and charge. Units always count as being in cover.

Ah now this is much more promising. Given Blood Axes are the weird ork tribe that use tictacs or so I've heard, this makes sense. They have been known to feint retreat and then strike again. They also make heavy use of kommandos so this suits the clan fluff very well. Things are looking up.



Deffskulls

My third clan and a bit of a "tidy up the bitzbox" exercise, it has a lot of shooting units so hopefully there is something like reroll 1's... oh... never mind. What did we get?

Units get a 6+ invulnerable save. Units also have the chance to reroll one hit/wound/damage roll per turn.

I don't recall if blue facepaint had an in-game effect in 40k before although I do recall it from fantasy, and it's nice to see it here. The reroll could prove useful and at least gives something shooty a boost.


Evil Sunz

Ah, my first ork tribe. I've had some good times with these guys till 7th Ed took away Wazzdakka, took away my bikes as Troops, and the crazy mob rules of the time basically meant running small squads in trucks was tantamount to suicide.. Have they got something to get them back in the saddle?

Units have +1 move when they move/advance/charge. Units can ignore the penalty for firing assault weapons after advancing.

Ooh now that is in fact very nice. This allows units to blitz around all over the place guns blazing as well as making them quicker than all the other orks. This suits them to a tee.



Goffs

My next ork project, so let's hope for something encouraging here that represents their nature as the meanest and toughest orks around.

Units generate an extra attack die on all to hit results of a 6 in the fight phase.

Seen it before, but it does suit the fightiest of the fighty nature of these guys, so while quite generic, I like it... especially when combined with the bucketloads of dice Orks usually put out.




Snakebites

My stalled Catch project, basically sat in limbo waiting to see what the ork codex does to the original planned army. Once the Goffs are done I'll revisit this and see what the rumoured new codex has done to my original planned army. But, in the meantime, what are the rumours?

Units ignore inflicted wounds on a 6+

A bit generic, quite similar to deffskulls, but also pretty sure it's been in the history of the army, so while underwhelming I'll take it.




Freebooters

I only have a small force of these, my Top Gun navy... I may well add some more deffkoptas at some point but generally the army is done. Only about 1000 points or so, unless I come up with rules for the impracticable large carrier and use that in games...

Units become +1 to hit after an allied unit has destroyed an enemy unit.

Quite an odd one, but could prove quite useful, if I use a volley from my battleships to take out a cheap target before my flashgitz open fire.





So all in all a mixed bag. Obviously these are just rumours, but if true i'd say they've done a superb job with deffskulls, blood Axes and speed freaks, a generic but suitable job for goffs and snakebites, an interesting albeit situational one for Freebooters, and a bland generic and as far as I can see no tangible link to the fluff for the Bad Moons. Which is a real shame as, like I said, my favourite paintjob so far. But more good news than bad so far and we'll see how much truth there is to this, and whether stratagem and warlord traits alter things at all, in the weeks ahead.

Comments

  1. Your conversions are fab - obviously you're just years ahead.

    Blue face paint on Orks features in the Dawn of War computer games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, far more proud of my converting than my painting :P it's just a shame that my hands can't match the weird stuff that appears in my head... at least with conversions I can get close :P

      Delete
  2. Other than the Bad Moonz, I'm pretty happy with them, yeah. Kinda wish the blue paint for the Deffskullz (my personal fave) was a "FNP" type roll like the Snakebitez got rather than in Invul, but it's still good, and Salamanders-style Re-rolls for each Unit is perfect.

    To really get Bad Moonz right, I think they'd have to do something that actually kicked in during list building, like if a Detachment contains only Bad Moonz, all Weapons and Equipment in that Detachment cost, say, 10% less (always at least one point less, unless they cost 0 in the first place).

    Also, you misspelled "Klanz" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the list building phase idea, but there is no way with the simplification of the game that GW would make people work out a percentage :P hell they encourage narrative gaming where you don't even have to work out the cost of wargear...

      Delete
    2. In practice, it would probably work out as something like "If a Detachment contains only Bad Moonz, you may use the prices in the Bad Moonz Points List rather than those in the regular Ork Points List." So they'd all be worked out in advance, and anything that cost 0 in both places could just be left off the Bad Moonz list, so it wouldn't require so much duplication.

      Delete
    3. Not a bad idea actually...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts