A brief history of my orks...

Let's recap the story of my Orks. This blog started as a guard players blog, but then he got involved in a Tale of Four Gamers, and he decided he wanted to try something new, so did an Ork force. Evil Sunz were chosen simply because I liked them best, although as I was putting all my favourite bits in it wasn't the most purist of Speed freaks forces (my warlord was a big mek with shock attack gun, I have a unit of lootas, my big finale piece was a Stompa) It was a generic Ork army that leaned Speed Freaks.



And that was my Ork army, for many years. But then they added some new releases to the Orks, and I loved them and wanted them... but they were Meganobs (that had the SLOW and purposeful universal special rule - remember those?) and the mekguns, which were artillery pieces. Neither seemed a natural fit for my speed freaks. Plus my mate had recently quit the hobby and sold me a massive unpainted ork collection, so I had plenty of bodies to form the core of a new force...

I decided to do Bad Moons. These are probably my favourite colour scheme to this day. As I ran a lot of meganobz (cos bad moons can afford to) I included Ghazkhul cos hey back then it made no difference.






After all of this, I sat down to go through what was left of the second hand ork collection my mate had sold me. There were a LOT of lootas and Meks and shoota boyz left... and an idea sparked... thus I made a deffskulls force. Apart from an early purchase of a brand new Wazbomm Blastajet (more mek inspiration) I stuck to purely looted vehicles for this army.




And that was me pretty much done with Ork armies. I did branch out into some silly side projects... A Topgun inspired Freebooters force and a Fury Road inspired warband that could fit in with the spee freaks for style, but looked more Goff in nature...










But then I had a grander idea... A Snakebite force themed on the Flintstones...

Now this army did get interrupted by 8th edition. The new Ork codex doesn't have warbuggies in any more... well, it has new versions. But my army had about ten rokkit buggies. I don't want to rely on index units that I fear one day will fade away, so I have put those on the back burner for now. I may go for some rukkatruk squigbuggies instead but I doubt I will use ten, and these were all going to be beast based conversions anyway, so I need to find a new way to convert these guys. I will return to them at some point...





At this point I alsofelt that the Ghaz model, in this primaris age, wasn't really big enough. Plus witht he new clan keywords (which I loved) I couldn't really pass him off as a Bad Moons counts as any more. So the Bad Moons are now lead by a Mega Armoured Warboss, and Ghaz got a new conversion... which did in the end lead to me doing an entirely new army...





I then took a brief detour to do the Wacky Races list...





So to recap...

Evil Sunz. 3000-4000 point force. 1000 point silly supplementary force.
Goffs 3000-4000 point force
Deffskulls 3000-4000 point force
Bad Moons 3000-4000 point force
Freebooters 1000-1250 point force
Snakebites About 1000 points painted and another 1000 or so still to work on
Blood Axes none

And there are no more clans.

Now this seemed a travesty, to leave only one clan missing out! So I've come up with an idea for doing a Blood Axe force, which given how long this post is, will wait to a new post...



Comments

  1. Dude. I hadn't realized how many of the awesome Ork Models/Armies I'd seen randomly around the internet were yours. Turns out I've been a fan of your work since long before I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they'd circulated much... I did once see my Santa Klaws on bell of lost souls, I figured that was my 15 minutes :P

      From the pictures in this post, I do have to confess the kommandos/rhino was something I saw online and made my own version of. But other than that it's all original work.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts