Flash Gitz, Flash.

So I finished the first five flashgitz yesterday, of a planned 20 and kaptin I have to do before the beginning of June... these models took me a lot longer than I had expected, despite my usual quick rush "it'll do" arms length painting attitude. I'd best crack on with this lot, as while I should still have time to get them all done, at this rate I won't have time to finish the display board, which is half of what I'm looking forward to about this entire project anyway!


Now normally I photo my models in a light box but let the camera do the work, but as it has been said of late that the models are looking a bit dark (my current setup worked fine through my Bad Moons tribe, but suffice to say they were a little brighter than my typical orks) so this time I tried a few shots with the flash in the ready position.

I know the camera will bring the flash up automatically if it needs it, but I thought that may encourage things. Didn't seem to, but I'm guessing it's the white background, as when I zoomed in close I finally got it to take a few with the flash. I should probably learnt he camera better and find out how to make it use flash at my directive rather than it's own, but here's a few shots.



I'm not 100% convinced by this yet as it feels like a microscopic examination of a paintjob I have never expected to be looked at closer than arms length, the standard "If it looks good from the end of a GW measuring stick, it's good enough for me" approach I have used for my entire hobby career. For much the same reason I don't play skirmish sized games, I am a horde collector... I like grand spectacle. Details, kinda meh... One beautifully painted Leman Russ is nice, don't get me wrong, but show me a division of 16 painted to a tabletop standard and I'm far more intrigued.


Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I have another 15 that I will paint to this standard, I might take a little more care for the kaptin, but don't expect golden daemon 5 different shades of one colour painting (you know who you are) but I'll be honest I want to get them all done quickly so the pressure is off for the stuff I NEED for the tournament, and I can turn my attention to the conversions I WANT on the display board...

Comments

  1. Nice work. I think the new photos are much improved. You can actually see the paint job and some of the details of the models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The details are what I'm afraid of ;) told you, I paint to an "arms length" standard of tabletop painting... if the horde looks good I'm happy. Individual models, meh they die too quick to paint well :P

      Delete
  2. Yes I know who I am. Can't even see three of the 5 shades :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts