Deffskulls: There are too many of them!

So, I'm musing on what to take to a 1500 point almost highlander style tournament in November... I am planning to take the Deffskulls, which means we need guns... lots of guns...
 

I have also built a display board that would be fun to take, and the Gorkanaut as the centrepiece. However, the gorkanaut just isn't very good from a rules point of view. And I am going to a tournament. I'm not the type to take a cheesy deathstar beat face list, but at the same time do I want to add in a deliberate handicap? If it was 1850 points, I'd go with it, but in such a small points list, 250 or so on an armour 13 walker that can be one shot-BOOMED out of the game is a hell of a risk...

So here are the bones of the list I'm forming, it works out at roughly 1500, I need to refine wargear as I'm working on rough numbers here.

Your list is allowed a total of two duplications, no triples. I kinda wanted to have two squads of shoota boyz and not bother with the grots, but I decided that more tankbustas was just better with so many extra guns...

HQ (Warlord) Big Mek Mega Armour KFF Da Dead Shiny Shoota Gitfinda

HQ Big Mek Shok Attack Gun Gitfinda 3 Ammo Runts

T 10 Boyz, shootas, big shoota, Nob Bosspole

T 10 Gretchin and Runtherd

E 12 Tankbustas inc PK Nob, 1 Tankhammer, 2 bomb squigs
 ded tran Truk, ram

E 12 Tankbustas inc PK Nob, 1 Tankhammer, 2 bomb squigs
 ded tran Truk, ram

HS 10 Lootas

HS 10 Lootas

HS 10 Flashgitz
 ded tran Battlewagon, ram, Zzapgun, 4 rokkits

Idea being to put lootas and SAG in some cover (put the SAG in a squad for ablative wounds) use either the gretchin or the orks (whichever ISN'T with the SAG) to grab a spare objective, and then have the tankbustas and flashgitz plod along doing drivebys at whatever they can. The warlord joins the flashgitz making the BW more survivable and granting the squad slow and purposeful, which makes those squad equipped Gitfindas all the tastier. Could arguably put the SAG in with this squad too, but that may be overkill for a single target... however if playing against a deathstar list in a tournament setting, there's no kill like overkill...

Now normally in Ork lists, I'd say this was ridiculously thin on numbers, but it DOES have lots of guns... which is what the deffskulls are about. I just wish I had more points, as right now I have too many cool conversion ideas that I wanted to show off to choose from... I have my Gorkanaut, ideas for warbuggies and deffkoptas, killa kans... I won't be able to use any of them...

Comments

  1. Frak! The list includes 2 big meks!

    So it's drop the ridiculously wonderful unreliable SAG... Or one of the squads of tankbustas and transport. My head says lose the SAG, but I don't want to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although if I don't mind not having the KFF then a Warboss could take Mega Armour instead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh for fraks sake, My squad of 15 lootas that I upped to two squads of 10 when I dropped the gorkanaut is another duplication... Doh!

    Back to the drawing board...

    Although if anyone wishes to pitch in their two cents about what I should duplicate, feel free...

    Tankbustas
    Truks
    Boyz
    Big Meks (could run two SAGs for fun)
    Lootas (I'll either run 15 or 2x10 of these guys, but being a deffskull army there will definitely be a presence of Lootas in the list, no doubt about that.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tankbustas are a solid choice, I would go for 2 units of them. Lootas are pretty good too, but two units of tank bustas and a unit of Lootas is a lot of points in 1500.

    I would be inclined to go for two large mobs of Orks. At 1500 points, most armies will struggle to deal with one unit of 30 boyz, never mind 2. Plus you can laugh at all the grav guns and grav cannons on the board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah true, it is a tournament, grav may well be prevalent, it would be amusing to mock that... I had been wanting to run the tankbustas in truks for a little added mobility, but if I double up on the Boyz I can't do that, I'm only allowed two doubles in the entire list. So if I drop to a single tankbusta/truk unit, what would be your choice for the second duplication allowed?

      Delete
    2. Ah, that is a problem! I've always thought that these types of events disfavour the Orks. You need lots of trukk or big mobs for your army and it just doesn't allow it.

      Do you have any Mek big gun? They could provide some decent firepower to add to your list.
      I would also suggest taking a warboss for the Waaagh and sticking him with a large unit of slugga boyz in the battle wagon. The big mobs are really slow and need the wagon for transport.

      I also really like warbuggies with Scorchas. They get to Outflank and don't need to roll to hit.

      Delete
    3. "These types of events disfavour the orks" - I assume you're referring to Highlander, although I'd be tempted to say "tournaments" :P

      I'm going to this event in the hope the restrictions will cut down on the deathstar superfriends free everything formations shenanigans I have faced at other events (other restrictions are in place to limit those, I just hadn't bothered to mention them as by working from a single codex I wasn't going to be risking tripping those rules anyway)

      I don't have mek guns for this army yet, Heavy Support is already a very clustered area so hadn't picked any up yet. I'm building this army from leftovers from other Ork tribe projects (the prevalence of Lootas/tankbustas is how I decided on deffskulls) so my Boyz are all equipped with shootas. Also putting them in a BW caps the unit size at 19 once a seat is allowed for the warboss.

      I do have one warbuggy with skorcha on the way among a selection of warbuggies I'm building, will potentially add more if I can find suitable chassis for it - I'm not using Ork vehicles for this project, only stuff looted from other races/civilians...

      Delete
    4. Yes, I know writing a tournament list would be a lot easier without such considerations, I'm just a glutton for punishment ;)

      Delete
  5. I run deffskulls too. Check out my Ork army for examples on building buggies with looted vehicles: http://standwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/ork-army-showcase-part-2-kult-of-speed.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider buggifying a land speeder, but I've decided I want to use that chassis for a deffkopta. Likely same thing for venom, hyper, and any other small skimmers. The warbuggies I have so far have been from a third party producer, civilian vehicles for a 40k setting. Found one "enforcer" vehicle that had been equipped with traks and a flamer. So that's one skorcha. Need to find a couple more, keeping my eye out. But do not intend to use the ork warbuggy kit. For one I've never been a fan of it (especially when compared to the beautiful truk kit) and for two I don't intend to have any ork chassis. Tell a lie, I have a wazbomm blastajet as I wanted the new model, and I do have a couple unpainted dakkajets I don't know what to do with yet, although they could equally end up in my Bad Moons or Speed Freaks...

      Delete
  6. Oooh Mock the spaze muhrines. Mock them. Do it for the rest of us, Ginge !

    ReplyDelete
  7. See I enjoyed mocking them the other week when I was out shooting those marines I stole the rhinos off... he'd set up expecting me to charge towards him and get shot. He was very surprised when turn 1 I stood still and fired 20+ str 8 shots, 60 str 7 shots (both Lootas rolled well) and two in form shock attack guns... marines don't expect to be outgunned...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts