Wacky Tourney Review: The Megatrakk Scrapjet


The trouble with most of these buggies is they are all a bit jack of all trades, none going especially down one route. This can lead to some decision paralysis in what to do with them, and using them can be time consuming. The Scrapjet is a prime example.

It has 4 guns, that fire at potentially 3 different Ballistic Skills. I hope you have lots of dice of different colours, otherwise this could take some time.

It has a wing missile that will hit a vehicle on a 4+ but anything else on a 6+ so it definitely wants to go for vehicles. It has two twin big shootas (one at BS4 one at BS5) so that's 12 shots at STR 5... meh. Not exactly a tank hunter. So aim for infantry?

But it also has a rocket cannon, 2D3 shots at STR 8 so we're bank to tank hunting. So we're not bad here.

Do we want it in combat? Well on the charge it has D3 mortal wounds (on a 4+) and while it's no slouch at STR 8 AP -2 and D3 damage. But hitting on a 4+ it's not that good. I would definitely want it to be supported by a Nob with Waagh banner, but he wouldn't have the mobility to keep up with him.

Over the course of the day, it chucked some wounds out here and there, but at no point did it make me sit up and take notice. About the most significant contribution it made was to be in a combined charge that took out a wave serpent and, as the tank was surrounded, killed the fire dragons and howling bashees inside. But given he was just filling a gap anyone could have done that, so I can't claim he got the killing blow on this one. That goes to the bonebreaka, and I've known for ages they're good.

So we have a fast vehicle that can hunt vehicles with a 24 inch range gun, but might want to be in charge range to finish them off, but isn't great at hitting in combat. It's an odd duck. Do I want more? I might get one to add to my evil sunz out of a sense of completeness, but I'm not in any hurry. And I've heard this is the best one. If anyone wants to correct me on this, or their versatility, do please comment.

Comments

  1. Honestly, none of them looked really great to me. The one that felt like it had the most potential was the "Snakebite" one with the Squig Mine.

    I'm still kinda bummed that we got 6 kits with no customizable loadouts whatsoever, rather than, say, 2 kits with a bunch of options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Played 5 games, never remembered to deploy that mine once. On one occasion, I kicked myself and said "should have dropped it then, I was expecting him to charge me, I was using it to block access to the tau" but mostly died without a clear opportunity for a once per game effect to be made use of.

      Delete
    2. One-shot weapons/powers can be tricky like that, yeah.

      Delete
  2. I think the Grots firing the guns on Shokkjump Dragsta Buggy make that the most reliable source of high strength weaponry, but having all the buggies looks great and when playing Orks, varied and fun themed assortments is core to being an Ork player!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will add most of these to my evil sunz as they fit the theme and I have no problem with variety, and I like to, across all the clans, have some of everything. But given how underwhelming they were it isn't high on my priority list. It's a "some day for the sake of completeness" job...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts